Sunday, January 26, 2014

Shop Extension - Floor

My shop is 20 x 30 feet.  I've had to extend it to fit a 32 foot Vaka (main hull).  Below you can see a photo of a 12 foot floor built in my driveway that adjoins the shop.  I was looking for the most solid temporary platform I could think of.  I did not want to build a traditional structural deck because it would require a lot of digging to get it low enough to be level with the shop and it would consume a stack of lumber.  I settled on railroad ties settled a few inches into the ground. The ground is fairly compacted and has gravel on it.  The ties are heavy enough to stay stationary without concrete or other anchors.  A few 2 x 4 stringers are laid perpendicular to the ties and 3/4 inch plywood is over the top.



I am about ready to get down to business.  Hopefully I will get some CNC-ed panels that I can start glassing this week.

Task Time: 6 hours
Project total time: 22 hours

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool! you working on covering/enclosing that area also?
    When are you expecting the panels??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also impressed by the idea of keeping a running total of the number of hours invested. It will be great to have a realistic appreciaiton of the amount of work to do something like this. We wish you well! And we will be looking forward to watching the progress!

    ReplyDelete