The plans call for four hat-shaped brackets on the back of the main bulkheads to carry the akas. These are simple e-glass structures. Further structural steps on the akas will keep them from laying flat, so these need to be moulded now.
The green tape shows the designed width of the brackets. The blue tape is a target area for me to layup. I made them oversize so that alignment issues and rough edges can be removed.
This shows nine layers of wet glass. I used some 4 oz. plain weave left over from another boat. There was a small amount of colloidal silica in the epoxy to help fill the weave. The dark area on the right is where epoxy seeped through the packing tape covering the beam below the layup.
This is a rough trimmed part. This will be properly trimmed when it goes into the boat. It would be easier to glue them to the bulkhead on a flat table before going into the hull. The bracket would block access for filleting the bulkhead to the hull, so it will have to wait.
Task time: 8 hours
Total project time: 490 hours