Friday, February 7, 2014

First Fiberglass


The last couple of days have been spent sanding and re-coating some parts.

Below you can see the first try at sheathing parts with fiberglass.  These are interior faces of the rudder trunks.  I thought I would start out with parts that will be completely non-visible for my first attempts at this technique.   These have 300gm glass over 9mm plywood.  The glass first gets enough epoxy to ensure wet out, but not enough to see shiny pools on top.   It is then hot coated in a few ours with a fill coat.  The fill coat is meant to cover the glass enough that you can sand the part for bonding without sanding into the glass.   Sanding to deep will damage the glass and weaken the part.





The second photo shows the excess glass cut away and sanded.


I ended up with some bubble in the surface.   This may be from the heaters above the work.  It looks similar to the effect you get when you epoxy outside in strong sunlight.  Air can heat up in the epoxy and form bubbles.   This part will need the amine blush removed and a sanding.  I will wait until after I put 200gm glass on the other side.

Yesterday I did more of this type of work.

I took some time out to work on my vacuum pump and some hangers for fiberglass rolls.  More on these later.

Task Time: 13 hours
Project total time: 41 hours





No comments:

Post a Comment