The pod and cockpit are assembled out of curved foam sandwich panels. Most all parts that are above and outbound of the deck are divinycell cores with two layers of carbon on each side. The external side gets an additional e-glass layer for durability.
Paul designed these appendages so that all of the sides use the same curve. This greatly simplifies the building. All seven or eight panels can be layed up on the same mold.
The mold was build out of three CNCed pieces of MDF that define the curve. These were joined to a base plate and some lightweight supports were added.
The tool face is two sheets of 1/4 inch melamine glued down to the structure. I added screws along the edges to strengthen things a bit. There is a seam between two sheets of melamine that needed to be fairly smooth and airtight. After pondering how to seal this, I settled on about five layers of overlapping packing tape. The whole surface is waxed and has some mold release as the outer coat.
Panels are vacuum bagged to the surface. The layup is either a two or three step process. The best inside finish is obtained when the inner skin is cured separately from the core. The core can be laid over the the inner skin in one step, but thickened epoxy used to fill the foam surface can be forced through the carbon clouding the finish.
In either case, excess cloth needs to be trimmed from the inner surface using the core as a guide for a router before adding the outer surface.
Here, the inner skin is laid over some peel ply.
The core is being bagged to the inner skin. This panel is the leeward side of the pod.
I'll show more pictures in future posts.